North - East kids get taste of Pune education

By Kiran Dahitule

Pune: About 47 school students from Assam and Nagaland arrived in the city on July 23 for a week-long visit on an invitation from the city-based Jnana Prabodhini School. They are accompanied by 16 teachers of those schools.

The students of these north-eastern states would get an opportunity to gain first-hand experience about the educational activities in Pune, known internationally as an educational hub.

Rajkumar Tiwari, a science teacher from Umrangshu, in Assam, said all Kendriya Vidyalayas (Vivekananda board) organise regular trips to different cities of India.

“Pune is one of the favourite destinations as students get to learn the most in this city,” he added.

Debalina Bannerjee, a standard X student from Assam said, “This trip is a great learning experience as we have seen and heard things we had never even imagined. This trip has helped me clear my aim about my future. We learnt a lot about science and I am happy that I got the opportunity to be a part of this trip.”

After interacting with experts on topics like applied biology, intricacies of electronics and chemistry, students visited Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA) on Wednesday.

They would also visit the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM) and Kelkar museum during their stay.

A science teacher, Trisha Rajguru from Bokuloni, Assam said, “After this visit, we would make these students talk about their experience and also teach other students about what they have learnt in Pune.”

Manoranjan Sutradhar, a standard IX student from Nagaland opined, “This has been a very enriching trip and I am happy that I will be able to share all that I have learnt with my friends. This trip has given me in-depth knowledge of science and now I am sure in near future I will be able to choose science for further education.”